Through Google Webmaster Tools, you obtain data and tools to manage an effective SEO-friendly website. Here are some of the things that you will be able to do:
- Check your site for possible issues Google detected.
- Understand your search traffic.
- Learn how users find your site.
- Conduct optimisation to help Google understand and represent your site better.
First, you need to add your website to Google Webmaster Tools. Visit the Google Webmaster Tools web page: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/. Log in if you already have a Google account or create a new account. The account creation process is very simple.
Add your website after logging into the Google Webmaster Tools interface. Click on the Add a Site button. The popup will prompt you to enter your website domain name.
Confirm that you own and can have full access to the website. Simply upload a small text file provided by Google into the root directory of your website. Click the Verify this site link. Choose the option to upload a HTML file from the Verification Method drop-down. Follow these steps:
- Click the Download verification filelink and save the file to your PC.
- Connect to your hosting account using FTP Client, or cPanel > File manager.
- Upload the downloaded file to the root directory (it is public_html for main domain) of your domain – name.
Click Verify button in Google Webmaster Tools interface. You can now use all the powerful tools of Google after accomplishing these steps.